Saturday, March 26, 2005

"After all these years, I have hardly seen YJC shine, but I guess it's>the cohort that they have been getting..however having said that 20>years is a long time to remain in a rut.. for me the best years would>have definitely been the late eighties when they had some really awesome>teachers who did wonders for the school, now however, it has gone>quiet..whatever name we come up with would have to reflect the>achievements of the past 20 years...hence I find it difficult to come up>with any..."
this is from the YJC alumni email - by a guy who graduated in 1990. And there was a really angry reply to this - which i totally like.. because she stood up for the school, when i merely dismissed this guy's comments as trying to say something when he really has nothing to say.

Anyhow, i replied both emails.

"To everyone out there,Cynism cannot get you anywhere, if you want a change in your alma mater such that you can, one day, be proud to tell people you are from YJC, it has to start from you. "

Haven they heard of the famous phrase "ask not what the country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"?
i have my reasons to hate the school as well, i have my own bad experience with the teachers as well, i even have a black mark in YJ. But i cannot offset that with the things that i've learn from school, mostly out of classrooms.
Someone once said to me,
"Do you know what are the things that students remember the most after they graduate? it's not the math tutorial, the econs essays, not the lectures. Instead, they remember how the stay till late in the evening to paint a banner for the fun fair the next day, they remember how they design the cafe in school, they remember having a lesson in the park, in the field, they rem the competitions they had to participate in..."
What do i rem?
I rem my bad CIP trip to china
I rem my Sarawak trip
I rem talking rubbish to my tutors during class and haunting them after school.
I rem the pats on my back during my j2 year by my j1 computing teacher.
I rem the ever changing library that is always super cold.
I rem neva getting my econ's teacher after school.
I rem goin to the discipline master's office and get a scolding.
I rem grumbling about stupid dialogue sessions which i totally condemn cos all they do is justify what they do.

and the list goes on.

No many good memories, i admit.
but i post a question to those who hate themselves for having been in YJ:
What is more precious than be the people who build up that spirit in the school?

what is your role if you're in a school with a long established school spirit? You're a merely a participant, yes you may feel proud, but one day if your school fall into the dumps? are you sure you'll stand by your school?
We build up the spirit, we start the fire burning, we are the ones that see the scale rise from 0 to something. I am sure we can stand by the school if ever anything happens to it.

What do you get out of complaining about having to come to yj and say that it has done you no good, causing you to drop out of JC or not achieving during A levels?
How much effort have you put in yourself? I did well not because i relied on class tutorials, i've spent evenings in school haunting my poor tutors down. I cried in my tuition centre for not knowing how to do my math paper. I have put in enough effort and even if i did not do well, i cannot fault my teachers for it.

why can't people understand that?

i couldn't write this in my email because it would be too personal and subjective. i jus hope people can take responsibility of their lives, just like i'm trying to do with my life.

you are in the dumps because you don't wanna help yourself.

i guess this much i can help my school because i can't really turn up too often nowadays...
trust me when i say that i have my fair share of hating the school, but it wasn't their fault.

Cheers

Wenrong

No comments: